Wednesday, June 28, 2006

First do no harm... then bill me.




Note: cast matches basketball shorts.

Biting my tongue in order not to make obvious underwear joke.


Trips to Doctor in the past 30 days

1.Pediatrician for TH to see about a swollen finger injured while playing football
2. Children’s Health Clinic to X-ray finger.
3. Pediatric Orthopedist to advise and treat broken index finger.
4. Dentist with all 3 kids for semi-annual cleaning and exam.
5. Orthodontist for A-Hod’s monthly visit.
6. Pediatrician for annual physical for 2 sons (2 visits combined into one).
7. Radiology Department to have TH’s elbow X-rayed.
8. Emergency Room to have TH’s elbow splinted.
9. General Practitioner by me to have a cyst removed from my leg.
10. Back to same doctor 2 days later because cyst became infected.
11. Pediatric Orthopedist to re-check finger. While there he also checks elbow and determines that it too is broken and puts it in a cast.
12. Pediatric Orthopedist with Greg to check on the progress of his leg after operation last summer. X-ray of leg followed by X-ray of spine.
13. General practice doctor to get stitches out of my leg.

That’s 13 doctor visits in a 30 day period and since 2 were doubled up, it was actually 18 appointments. Fortunately I have medical and dental insurance but still that was $350 co-pays plus an installment payment of $191 a month for the braces. 30 days, 6 sets of X-rays, 4 prescriptions filled, 3 broken brackets, 2 broken bones, 2 lectures on proper dental hygiene, one god-awful infection = one stressed out mom . While at a wonderful gathering the other night, one of the guests (who doesn’t have kids) gave me a lecture on neglecting my own annual gynecological visits. Yes, I haven’t been in like 7 years. Shall I call today and schedule an appointment? I also blew off my last teeth cleaning.

One of the things she said was “well if you don’t take care of yourself then who the hell would take care of the kids when you’re gone?” That was certainly a wise thing to say. Don’t get me wrong, she was completely right, but I don’t think she has a clue to how sick and tired I am of going to the doctor almost every single day about something.

No comments: