Monday, April 10, 2006

RIP: Sausage and Pepper Hero

Saturday night Catfish and I decided to go to the Dogwood Festival at Piedmont Park. We walked around, and most of it was closed. However the food stands were still open, I really wanted a burrito at Willy's. but when I walked up to the Greek Food stand, when the man said "Italian?" and started fixing me a sausage and pepper hero.

This brought back vivid memories of my childhood, of going to Italian restaurants in the Bronx with my dad to eat Sausage and Pepper heros as well as Peppers & Eggs, which is also on a roll of Italian bread.


The "sangwich" was a huge sausage, with a mixture of red and green peppers, and onions sauteed on a piece Italian bread. It was absolutely delicious. I ate it slowly. I was in Heaven, on my way to Hell.

We walked all around and up 10th Street, I was feeling great and happy for the exercise. I went to be bed around 1AM, feeling fine. At 6AM I was awakened by gastric regurgitation where the stomach acid is regurgitated into the throat and mouth. This is PAINFUL! Extremely painful. I jumped up with a start, cursing the sausage! I have never experienced such a foul, disgusting, pain. My throat felt like I drank of bottle of Drano. It was burning in my mouth and throat. I was afraid to go back to sleep, in case it would happen again. I had experienced this once before in my life, about 6 months ago, after eating at Captain D's, and that night it happened 4 times.

So at 6AM, exhausted, I went downstairs to watch TV. The Big Ten College Gymnastics meet was on. That was great! I watched that until 7:30. I used to do gymnastics, not at that level, but it brought back a lot of memories of flipping around on balance beam, and falling off during a meet. Then I went to sleep, sitting up there in the chair in the den. I slept until close to 6PM that evening. Still burping.

I am a little worried about why my espophagal valve isn't working properly. There is no cure for G.E.R.D Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease: http://www.gerd.com. I vow never, ever to eat any food from a stand or another Sausage and Pepper hero as long as I live. I vow to make lifestyle changes except it sounds impossible! No wine, no coffee, no soda, no caffiene! but I guess next time I want a soda, I will think about the way I felt at 6AM yesterday.

3 comments:

Sara said...

I have acid reflux once in awhile too--it's a horrible feeling, and for some reason always happens to me in the middle of the night as well. I suddenly sit up with the feeling of acid rising in my throat, and it's like I narrowly escape throwing up. Sadly, I can't point to any one type of food that triggers it in me.

Also that pepper and onion thing looks disgusting.

Johnny Webb said...

That sandwich sounds great to me....too bad about the burning bile in the pipes episode you experienced....that really sucks...I think they do research on that stuff at Emory.....awhile back they were recruiting folks to be in a study of it....

Johnny Webb said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.