Sunday, September 02, 2007

The Animal Shelter

It all started when an SPCA Pet Adoptions opened up about a mile away from us. I had been looking into finding a Humane Society for Greg to volunteer at, since he loves animals so much. I inquired if he could be a volunteer and they said to come on over. We arrived and they asked if I would stay too, until he learned the ropes.

There is a room full of about 30 cats, mostly kittens. The first day we sat in that room and played with the adorable kittens. And I mean adorable! We washed the windows. They asked me to clean out the litter boxes, so I did. The next day they asked me to walk 15 dogs, so I did and picked up their poop.

The following day they had me wash dishes, mostly dirty cat litter boxes and dogfood bowls. In the meantime, Greg was assigned to the sole chore of making sure the kitties get socialized.

GREG HARD AT WORK:




So while he is in the cat room playing, I am working my butt off, literally drowning in poop. I ask myself how did I get into this? Then I realize I am doing this for him. I wonder why I am working for no money? I like the animals a lot but it really is a shitty job.

In any case, we go over there 3 days a week and work for about 8-10 hours a week. All kidding aside, I am really enjoying it. The dogs are really hard to handle. They are in cages and kind of depressed.

These are my 2 favorite kittens, Pinkie and Alex. Pinkie is all white, with one green eye and one blue eye. Alex is the most loving, affectionate little kittie I have ever known. He wants to be petted constantly. Both of them usually wind up in Greg's lap within a few seconds of coming in. If you are in Georgia and would like to adopt the world's sweetest kittens, leave me a message!


PINKIE & ALEX



1 comment:

Kenny J Lowry said...

They make my eyes' balls itch jest lookin' at them.