Sunday, July 22, 2007

Last Day in NYC: Central Park Zoo & The Yankees

It's taken me awhile, but I am finally going to finish the Manhattan series.

We had a fabulous brunch at the loft. Said a sad goodbye to our friends, and then we checked out of the hotel. I was ready to drive to Central Park to meet my cousins. I thought I had my route rather well planned out. Oh by now I know all the cabdrivers secret shortcuts. My plans were to get out of lower Manhattan via Pearl Street to Houston Street to 6th Avenue and go up to the zoo. I was doing great until there was a street fair on 6th Avenue and 42nd street and the road was closed! I was in a tizzy at this point. The only way to go was to drive around an extra 30 minutes. Finding parking put me into another tizzy. I wish I didn’t get so tizzied out but driving in Manhattan is all its cracked up to be- not for the easily tizzied!

We had a wonderful time at the zoo. And my cousins are so sweet. It was great to spend some more time with them. My cousin C, he is just insane. He doesn’t appreciate organic bread! he asks, "How can bread NOT be organic"?

The polar bear was sunbathing in 90-degree weather- it just seemed plain wrong! Andrew decided that the bear was really a grizzly and they painted it white. Then we saw the penguin feeding. Holy Mackerel! They sure are cute and I had no trouble herring the zoo worker’s talk. There was a fish tank, filled with evil marine fauna, but with fronds like that, who needs anemones?


Polar Bear catching some rays






My cousin explained to us the story of the Cardiff Giant. My friend Diane, really did have her facts wrong, but that is a story for another blog entry. Cousin C walks around as an encyclopedia of fascinating useless historical facts so it is always a hoot to hang out with him. My other cousin, Miss F, actually used to work at the Central Park Zoo. She had a real paying gig wearing a Butterfly or Turtle costume. That’s right they paid her to hang out on a rock in costumes-Show people! She was really happy to see her old friends the goats and llamas. My cousin took that picture of us outside the zoo. At that point I was feeling a little like I might have over-exerted myself. In the Beth Jablonsky philosophy of vacation rules, it was time for a treat! Lunch at the Zoo Cafe was excellent, I must say.

After that we drove through Harlem toward Yankee Stadium. We then came to a bridge that I had never seen, a drawbridge called the Macombs Dam Bridge, that crosses the Harlem River and takes you straight into Yankee Stadium. As we crossed it there was a magnificent view of the House that Ruth Built and that Steinbrenner is tearing down!


Macombs Dam Bridge

The Yankee game was awesome. Except for the $22 I spent on 4 hotdogs, it was a lot of fun. Here are some pics.




2 comments:

Kenny J Lowry said...

That llama looks like Skippy's prehistoric ancestor!

Kenny J Lowry said...

"... penguin feeding. Holy Mackerel! ... herring the zoo worker’s talk ... evil marine fauna, but with fronds like that, who needs anemones?"

*ugh*