Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Why I won't keep moving and my daily brush with death

About a year ago, I got pulled over by a policeman because I didn't keep moving at a "Keep Moving" sign. The sign is right near the Gwinnett County Police Headquarters, so the cops are constantly coming through there. I think he was really annoyed that yet another stupid driver couldn't read. I didn't get a ticket, just a lecture.

I got stopped at the corner of GA HWY 20 where it meets Hwy 316. I was attempting to turn right onto 316 and I waited and stopped until it was clear before pulling out. The cars were going about 65 mph. I basically was yielding to oncoming traffic. The policeman was furious and said that I was holding up traffic because I should have kept moving. I am not sure about the rollout lane at that intersection, but it kind of bothered me to be yelled out for not wanting to risk my life.

The first time I saw one of these signs, it made complete sense. You thought you were merging into traffic as you turned right, but there was actually the beginning of a brand new lane, all for you, to enter. So by keeping moving, you were keeping traffic flowing, but most of all, it was there to let you know that you didn't have to stop and merge because there was another lane!

Some recent new roads near my house have installed two of these Keep Moving signs which are infuriating me because:

IF I KEEP MOVING IN THE KEEP MOVINGS I AM GOING TO GET CREAMED!!


The Keep Moving near my house does not drop you into a new lane, rather after only 10 feet you have to merge into oncoming traffic going at least 55 mph. If I keep moving, I am going to get hit. I have to stop and wait, I have no choice. I can keep moving another 10 feet, basically one car length, but then I will have to stop and wait to merge. Why did they put this sign up instead of a Yeild? It's useless but makes me feel like I am disrepecting the traffic laws. There is also another one close to my house- both of these intersections are relatively new, they were built in the past 2 years. In the other one, you have more of a lane, about 50 feet, or 3 car lengths, but then you are forced to stop and wait to merge. So who cares if you stop at the corner and wait to merge or move down 50 feet and stop and wait to merge? What is the point?




ETA: I tried to find an image of one of these signs to no avail. I googled for a few hours trying to find information or anything on a Keep Moving sign. It must be purely a Georgia thing. Or else it is just a Gwinnett County thing. Since it seems to be a rare and unusual traffic sign, why are there 2 of them within 2 miles of my house? Is some idiot in charge around here in love with them?

2 comments:

onesmallstar said...

i know! i was just googling to try and find something on the "keep moving" signs i've seen around atlanta and your post is the closest i've gotten -- thanks!

dot said...

Funny! I was googling unusual traffic signs in Georgia and I got you. I couldn't deal with the traffic in your area.