Thursday, January 11, 2007

One year ago today

January 11, 1006: I was attacked by 3 Presa di Canario dogs while minding my business on my front lawn. This is the type of dog that they were:
The man who owned the dogs that attacked me is breeding them and selling the puppies for $1200-$1500 a piece. It is a very lucrative business. Before my attack, I had not ever heard of the Presa de Canario, also known as "Presas" or "Canarios". They are not recognized by the American Kennel Club, however they were popular in South America. In 2001, there was a very publicized case involving a woman in California, Diane Whipple, who was mauled to death 2 of these dogs:

The Presa de Canario is the breed that attacked and killed Diane Whipple in the hallway outside her apartment in January 2001. The massive, boulder-headed Presa Canario is gaining in popularity as a result of the publicity surrounding this case. Breeders of the type of vicious dogs that killed her are caught in a paradox. Business has never been better--but for all the wrong reasons. They are the dog of choice for those who want the most explicit symbol of ferocity the pet kingdom has to offer, breeders and trainers say. "They're looking for that designer weapon that could make them look tougher," said Tracy Hennings, a breeder in Cleveland who is the president of the Dogo Canario Club of America. "They want that tough, macho, big dog at the end of the chain, lunging and charging." Breeders say they are receiving dozens and dozens of calls requesting information about the 120-pound dogs. They are not exactly from people looking for a family pet. They want these killer dogs-- as soon as the dog killed that woman, they wanted them.

Okay! This is the kind of sick society we live in, excuse me for being cliche' here. I'll improve that sentence eventually. Now since so many morons want these dogs, more morons are getting into the breeding business. The dogs that attacked me are owned by this type of jerk, who is breeding these dogs for profit. Some breeders are taking Mastiffs and breeding them with Pit Bulls and calling them Presa de Canarios.

I cannot believe a year has gone by, but I still think about this a lot. Actually everytime I step out onto my front lawn with my little dog. It was very traumatic. I still have a scar in that spot on my arm. I was also scratched on the back of my upper arm, and chipped my front tooth slamming the door on the dogs. I was on my front lawn with my little poodle, taking him for his afternoon pee, when the 3 dogs sprang out of my back yard and tried to kill him. I picked him up and they bit me on the arm. I ran back into the house, but I was unable to get my dog from them. They continued to try to kill my dog. Finally with help of 2 neighbors, a truck and baseball bats, my dog managed to get away with ripped ears, a cracked sternum, cracked ribs and no other injuries. The 3 dogs went to the county pound for 10 days and then were returned to the owner. The owner was find a piddly $300.

This man was given the dogs back, where one of them had a litter of nine puppies 2 months later.

No comments: